A dental bridge is a dental device used to replace missing teeth. Bridges are fixed in place, and they consist of one or more replacement teeth that are supported by dental crowns on either side.
If a patient is missing multiple teeth, a dental bridge can be placed to restore the function and appearance of the smile. The dental bridge is made of a pontic, which is the replacement tooth, and two dental crowns. The dental crowns on each side of the bridge anchor the bridge in place within the patient's smile.
How do dental bridges work?
Dental bridges literally bridge the gap created by one or more missing teeth. The dental bridge is held in place by abutments, which are fixed or removable prosthetics that anchor the bridge on each side of your smile. The abutments can be secured to surrounding teeth or implants and may be cemented in place or bonded to the surrounding teeth.
What are the benefits of dental bridges?
The benefits of a dental bridge are as follows:
- A dental bridge will support the facial tissue by preventing it from collapsing into empty spaces where teeth are missing.
- A dental bridge improves your speech.
- A bridge will help keep surrounding teeth from shifting out of position.
- A dental bridge can fill in the gaps of missing teeth without compromising the appearance or function of surrounding teeth.
- A dental bridge can restore the appearance of your smile after tooth loss.
- They can help improve self-confidence and self-esteem.
How do I care for my dental bridge?
Your bridge depends on the health of your teeth, your oral hygiene habits, how durable your bridge is, and your chewing habits. Follow these tips to care for your dental bridge:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Floss every day.
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months.
- Visit your dentist for regular checkups and cleanings.
At Dynamic Dental Services, we offer the best dental care possible to each of our patients in a positive and relaxing environment. If you're ready to experience the best dental care, please contact us at (773) 538-6191 or visit us at 5401 S. WENTWORTH AVE. #200, Chicago, IL 60609.